Reformation Heritage Books has it right. Many of their books are an in-depth study of Puritan literature, but this is not an end in itself. Other book titles indicate that their knowledge of the Puritans is applied and made practical. This is reflected in the Cultivating Biblical Godliness booklet series as well as their books. What is the good of having a knowledge of God and his Word if it isn’t shown in our lives? If we are to be useful servants of the Lord, who glorify Him in all we do, there must be a practical outworking of our theology. Knowledge alone puffs up; applied knowledge makes us more Christlike.
It is true that the bible is the only book we really need, but God in his grace has supplied these useful tools so that we can consider one aspect of our godliness at a time and improve on it. It’s not necessary to buy a book, but perhaps consider the titles below and use one or two of them for further study. Do your own bible study or have a group discussion to discover where you can apply scripture and increase in godliness. Stagnancy is not an option. Let’s keep on moving forward, growing in grace to the glory of God. Thank you, RHB, for providing such useful tools.
New from RHB:
- How Should I Exercise Hospitability? by Rebecca Vandoodewaard. Another title in RHB’s Cultivating Biblical Godliness Series. We also have How can I Feel Productive as a Mom? by Esther Engelsma and How Can I do all Things for God’s Glory? by Joseph A. Pipa. These are all booklets at R25 each.
- Graciousness, Tempering Truth with Love by John Crotts. Paperback; 137pp; R80.
- Watchfulness, Recovering a Lost Spiritual Discipline by Brian G. Hedges. Paperback; 175pp; R80.
- The Covenantal Life, Appreciating the Beauty of Theology and Community by Sarah Ivill. Paperback; 134pp; R70.
- Theology Made Practical, New Studies on John Calvin and his Legacy by Beeke, Hall & Haykin. Paperback; 248pp; R145.
- Holy Helps for a Godly Life by Richard Rogers. A book in the RHB Puritan Treasures for Today series. Paperback: 182pp; R60.
- McCheyne’s Dundee by Bruce McLennan. Paperback;183pp; R115.
- Glorious Remembrance, The sacraments of the Lord’s Supper as Administered in the liturgy of the Reformed Churches by Ray B. Lanning. Booklet; 36pp; R25.
- Foundations of the Gospel, A Believer’s Commentary on Genesis 1-3 by Kuldip Singh Gangar. Paperback; 267pp; R115.
- The Ark of Safety, Is There salvation Outside of the Church? by Ryan M. McGraw. Paperback; 125pp; R60.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Sermon/group study helps: Our Daily Bread is a devotional book that is produced annually. Some of the daily devotions contain illustrations that apply to a particular bible verse. These have been saved on the Our Daily Bread web site. If you visit https://odb.org , you can enter any verse in the search box at the top right of their page and all the related illustrations/explanations will come up.