NORMAN L GEISLER
This is another in a series of books sponsored by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy. The fourteen leading evangelical scholars who have contributed to this volume come from various denominations and have written on a wide range of topics related to the doctrine of the inerrancy of the Bible. Believing that this doctrine is “an essential element of the authority of Scripture and a necessary ingredient for the health of the church of Christ,” they have made a strong defense of it. This book is presented as an appeal to the church of Jesus Christ. To those churches that hold to the inerrancy of Scripture, it is a call to hold the line. To those churches that have given way to the persuasions of radical higher criticism, it is a call to return to the historic position of Christianity. Inerrancy is shown to be a doctrine of crucial importance to the church.
Among the chapter titles are these:
- Christ’s View of Scripture
- Alleged Errors and Discrepancies in the Original Manuscripts of the Bible
- Higher Criticism and Biblical Inerrancy
- Legitimate Hermeneutics
- The Human Authorship of Inspired Scripture
- The Meaning of Inerrancy
- Philosophical Presuppositions of Biblical Errancy
- The View of the Bible Held by the Church
- B. B. Warfield Versus G. C. Berkouwer on Scripture
Included as an appendix is the Statement of the Council. This Statement consists of three parts: a Summary Statement, Articles of Affirmation and Denial, and an Exposition. The intent of this declaration underlies all of the chapters in this significant book.